Let me guess. You’re here because you’re battling writer’s block, right?
Been there. That’s why I built this place.
In a moment, I’ll ask you to pick a door, step through it and play the game inside. But first…
Let’s see who hangs out here. I’d like you to meet….
(Click or tap a writer profile to reveal the details.)
Ready. Set. Pick…
You guessed it. Time to choose your adventure. I created three game modes to help you stop staring into the blank white page…outwit your inner-critic…or build a daily writing ritual.
(Click or tap a link to open the door and reveal your game.)
If you’re stuck, facing a deadline or so blocked you can barely stomach drafting an email (I’ve been there), I dare you to play a round of Write 50. Right now.
How to play…
1) Grab paper and pen. Or launch your favorite text app.
2) Write 50 words. Any words. No judgement. No editing. Then come back here.
3) Fist-bump! Don’t leave me hanging. You just outwitted your inner-critic and ditched a block.
How do you feel? Can you write more?
If yes, keep going. Up the ante by throwing some judgement-free words at a specific project. Don’t stop until you’ve left all you’ve got on the page.
If no, that’s okay. When was the last time you wrote this many words?
I dare you to play again tomorrow, and every day after that until you reach a breakthrough. I can tell you from experience, you’ll get there. (When I first played Write 50, it took weeks to reach a breakthrough.)
4) Let me know how Write 50 went. The good, the bad, the ugly. Your feedback will help me create future challenges. I read all responses and reply to as many as I can.
Struggling to build a writing ritual? Or need something longer than the Quick Win challenge?
I double dare you to finish the Write 50 7-Day Challenge.
How to play…
1) Pick a time to write and set an alarm.
2) Grab a calendar or download an app to track your progress. Or write 1 thru 7 on a piece of scratch paper, envelope, napkin, etc. Post it to your wall or fridge.
3) When the alarm goes off, drop everything and write 50 words. Any words. No judgement. No editing. No stress.
Up the ante by picking a specific project or pushing past the 50-word minimum.
4) Done. Mark your gameboard with a circle, star, smiley face, sticker, etc.
5) You win when you finish this challenge for 7 days straight.
6) Let me know how you do. I rely on your feedback for creating blog posts and games. Yes, I read all responses and reply to as many as I can.
Looking for a more structured challenge with less of a build-it-yourself flare?
I double-dog dare you to check out the Ditch The Block game room.